Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
By SG Merc
Using the original molds that were used to make the GDO's on Stargate SG1 I am building a replica! This replica prop will be hero quality, and will therefore be made from multiple pieces with working features! My goal is to build a replica that is fun for cosplay yet also worthy of display.

Since this is being made from the original mold it will be screen accurate in almost every way, right down to the correct shape of buttons on the keypad.

Here's a first look at the mechanically routed top shell piece. This will be finished off with the bottom piece, end cap, keypad, screen, face shield, arm straps and last but not least ... lights!

By SG Merc
I forgot to update this post! The G.D.O. replica is basically finished now. As of this writing I need to re-mold the keypad. Otherwise they are done. If you want more details check out my prop blog here at SG1Props. This G.D.O. comes from the ORIGINAL MOLD created by the Stargate props department, and is fully functional just like the hero props used on SG1.

Here are some photos:

By SG Merc
Just finished a mold of the original textured foam backing for this. That would be the thin sheet of foam which cushions your arm when you wear this. No detail is too small 8)

Also got the new keypad mold finished. I made 4 of them since casting silicone is slow process. After trying three different clear rubbers for the keypads I am returning to the first material that I tried, as it has produced the best results.

PRE-ORDERS
If you want to be notified when you can pre-order one of these be sure that your email address is on the SG1Props email list.
By SG Merc
The rubber keypads are DONE! After many failed attempts I finally have perfected the recipe for making these. The numbers themselves are printed below the top layer of rubber so that they will never wear off.

I will be putting several G.D.O.s together over the next few days with the new keypads and curved screen covers.
By Caffrey
I am very much looking forward to the these replica GDOs. Do you have an expected date for completion yet? What will one cost?
By SG Merc
Caffrey wrote:I am very much looking forward to the these replica GDOs. Do you have an expected date for completion yet? What will one cost?
Sorry for the delay. The first batch is finished, and will be assembled this week. Then I'm sending them off to an expert to have the straps sewn on.

The cost should be around $250. There will be a little discount on that for our members here, which I will be putting into our sale forum as well as the email.
By SG Merc
Soldering is done! The first batch of G.D.O.s now light up. Lots of little steps have gone into making these work like the original prop did, although it's relatively a basic prop. Getting the light to look accurate required me to not only find the correct color EL panel, but also the materials to make the screens and keypads. If those aren't the right color and density the light just doesn't work out.

By Caffrey
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Hopefully, I will see the e-mail when they go up for sale!

You are doing some incredible work. Not everybody has the motivation to put in such detailed effort to create completely canon products. 8)
By SG Merc
Quick update! First batch of G.D.O.s have been put together and shipped to Stitch's Loft to have straps developed. Once the straps are finished they will be offered for sale. I have already started work on parts for the second batch.

Check out all of the pictures and info for the replica G.D.O..

A quick rundown of features in our replica:

- Cast from the original mold!
- Brushed aluminum finish
- Rubber number keypads with imprinted numbers which won't fade
- Interchangeable screens to show 3 different screen-accurate messages
- All screws and hardware are screen matched
- Working electronics! Lights up with working switch on end plate.
- Foam underside for comfort. Foam cast from original mold!
- Embedded metal side rails are made of titanium! (These hold the straps)
- Includes installed batter, spare battery, 3 different LCD screen choices, hex keys needed for changing the battery compartment and LCD screen.

Here's a fun photo showing the lighting action.

By Stitch
Think we are going to do the tear apart straps... some had one soil loop I think but hard to take off and on...

Looking at the best measurements to accommodate most arms and a jacket...
By SG Merc
Stitch wrote:Think we are going to do the tear apart straps... some had one soil loop I think but hard to take off and on...

Looking at the best measurements to accommodate most arms and a jacket...
Tear apart straps are going to be perfect for this. I have total confidence that you will find the ideal strap length 8)
By SG Merc
My power source on these has been bothering me. Not enough voltage to keep it shining bright for long.

So I connected one of the GDOs to a small 3.7v rechargeable LiPo that I have in the shop. WOW what a difference in brightness! Unlike the 3v disposable lithium cells that I have been using, these rechargeable batteries keep their peak voltage for a lot longer. That translates into more cosplay time.

Plus I can integrate a charging system so that the GDO can be recharged without replacing a battery,

The only downside is that a fully charged LiPo peaks at 4.2v, which might make the inverter run hot (it was humming a bit louder). The solution? Power regulators! I am going to order a few and test it out.
By SG Merc
Took a photo showing the difference between the GDO with regular battery (rear) and with the rechargable one (front). After continuous operation the regular battery starts to lose it's brightness but the rechargable one stays super bright.

Will run more tests next week then the power regulators come in.
Attachments
gdobright.jpg
gdobright.jpg (230.72 KiB) Viewed 46975 times
By SG Merc
The G.D.O. is now super powered thanks to an internal lithium battery! The light will no longer dim when the battery is low, instead it will stay bright until the 350mAh battery discharges. Plug into any USB port to recharge :D

Here's a video of it all in action.
By SG Merc
Making parts for another run of GDOs. Screens and covers shown here.
28FC7B54-A6E9-457F-83B0-F54B9E40969F.jpeg
28FC7B54-A6E9-457F-83B0-F54B9E40969F.jpeg (543.06 KiB) Viewed 27036 times
A5FEDDB8-5C56-44E4-8D26-45835B9ECF68.jpeg
A5FEDDB8-5C56-44E4-8D26-45835B9ECF68.jpeg (570.84 KiB) Viewed 27036 times

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]