Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

You can introduce yourself here to our other members. Feel free to say as little or as much about yourself as you would like!
By brainshatterer
Hello all. My name is Kersten (not a chick)
Been into Stargate since its inception with the movie, love atlantis, etc. I want to get into prop building, I have a wraith grenade (paperweight) and a prior bug (hero prop). I want to make a mold of my wraith grenade and make a working one with all the bells and whistles (not the explosives though). Also I plan to modify my show car into a stargate themed beast. Will be more like a disneyland ride once it's done. I'll post more info about what I plan to do to it soon. Think that's it for now.
By Colonel_Carter
Hey there brainshatterer (great name btw!)

Glad to have you on board with sg1props! If you want to learn how to cast/mold props, this really is the place to be! Our very own SG Merc is an ace at that kinda stuff and I'm sure would love to answer any questions you have on the subject.

I'm intrigued to see your Wraith grenade and really really love the idea of an SG-1 themed car ... looking forward to those pictures!!!

Welcome to the forum/board/website ... we hope your stay is a happy and productive one :D
By SG Merc
Hi Kersten, welcome to the forums :)

Stargate and prop building go great together! There's a lot of cool props and costumes that you can work on. So you've already got a good pair of hobbies there to work with. There's also some good resources that can help you learn more about different methods of prop building. Obviously these very forums are a good place to ask questions. As a good introductory book you might want to look into getting a copy of "The Prop Builders Molding & Casting Handbook" from Amazon (or maybe your local library). There's also a lot of videos on You Tube.

I'll be honest with you though that there's a lot of trial and error as well. But reading up on how other people make their props, and watching the videos can help you grasp it a lot easier.

Tell me more about this car of yours!? I don't work with cars much myself, but I designed a paint scheme for a car last year for a client that ended up being in the international auto show, so I'm eager to hear what kind of wheels you've got rolling there :D
By brainshatterer
Well, hopefully you won't shy away immediately, but it's a first year Dodge Neon coupe. I've had the car 3 years, and things have been slow going, mostly my laziness. I have a 2002 performance engine that's under 10k miles in the car. I plan to paint the car lamborghini metallic lime green in the front half, metallic blue from the Mazda RX-8 on the rear with carbon fiber trunk lid and hood, black roof. Puddle jumper designs all over it, plan to modify the rear bumper for the sides to slide out, make drive pods there. Going to make the car a hatchback, (one of a kind) Front seats are only in the car, want a 3rd seat to go in the center where the rear bench was. This will be my (ancient's chair) May make a model of one, may just use a regular folding seat. I like the new chrysler sebring seats in leather, white and gray. Passenger seat has a fold flat option, may get 2 of those ones, use it in the rear. Going to hook up LCD screens in the top back of the roof, would like to get David Hewlett to do a few cutscenes for me. I plan to use some of my old laser challenge equipment to make the car an interactive laser tag gaming system. Person in rear facing chair will controll all the guns. The pistols look like wraith stunners, just need to be modified a little, but would like to make a hollow model of the zat and ronon's gun to put the laser tag equipment in it for me. uhhmmm, on the sides of the rear seat, would like to make a crystal panel like in the SG1 ships. Other side may do glass boards like in atlantis. I plan to make everything as workable as possible if nothing more than lights. Would like to make a dialing panel like in the puddle jumpers for the dash. Uhhmmm and maybe some special boxes for my batteries to make them look like naquada reactors :)
That sound good to you guys? I'll post up my cardomain page soon so you can see the car currently. Tell me what you think.
Thanks
Also the car right now gets about 46mpg or 200hp at the wheels.
By Smiley
Sounds like very awesome stuff you have happening there Kersten! I'm so not that good with props and things :oops: The closest i have to a Stargate themed car is that it's blue and my personal number plates say MALPY... oh and there's a bumper sticker on the back, but that about it...

What you are talking about is awesome
By Colonel_Carter
Don't worry Smiley, I'm not that big on the props department either, we all have our own way of creating art :)

The car sounds amazing Kersten and I can't wait to see the pics of it! 46mpg ... people will be biting your hand off for that little beauty!! I've always thought the idea of a personalised car was brilliant, especially if it's a model you really love too (and so won't want to part with it any time soon).

I don't even drive (as yet!) but have plans for at least a personalised plate when I get to :)
By brainshatterer
Well, as of right now, I own 3 neons, owned at least one since 2000, I pretty much know them inside and out, so it's fun to do one that I'm building from frame up. My first neon's custom plate means dodge this one. :)
Can't think of a plate for my ugly car just yet.

http://cardomain.com/ride/2040894
here is my cardomain link so you can see it so far.
By Smiley
Colonel Carter: True that, true! I just want to get props someone else has made... heehee! :P:P I want a GDO, but the person i emailed never got back to me :(:( I've had my licence for about 18months now, and by MALPY plates were my 21st present from my Mum and Step Dad :)

BrainShatterer: Those pictures are awesome, great lots of work there... my Dad is a mechanic, i remember all those days when he would tell me about cars and engines and then when he'd have to retell me over and over and i still wouldn't get it... heehee :P
By SG Merc
Hey NICE wheels man!

I always thought the Neon was cool. And the showcar that I worked on the paint design for was only a Chevy Cobalt. After seeing how souped up the team I worked with got that, I gained a lot of respect for what you car guys can do a large production automobile :D

Great plans for it too! What's the next thing you're going to be working on with it (or are at the moment)? Got any plans for changing the lights at all?

I'm impressed man, and I think you're going to have the only (or certainly one of the only) Stargate cars in the world! 8)
By brainshatterer
Lighting is going to remain stock shaped, but the taillights are already true european spec (meaning only found in exported Chrysler Neons) and the headlights are diamond projector. I want the car to still look like a neon, just heavily modified. Right now we are prepping to go on a 2 week vacation, then I am going to have the new m3 mirrors, door handles, and inside mirror backings painted the lambo lime green, then after I finish the wiring on the euro tails, I can drive the car again :) (It's been over a year since I last got to drive it. Then side shoot exhaust, cause the exhaust is hanging funky right now, but I want the rear of the vehicle open. Going to create a special self powering system. Get a electric motor, hook a pulley onto it, then hook a second amped up alternator and a air conditioning compressor under the trunk. Then at shows I can merely flip the switch to run the electric motor independently of the car engine and still have the car charged. Going to create a whole backstory for the vehicle because I'm going to make the car look like it could go into space. Maybe say I was under McKay in Area 51 and previously being host to a Gouould (sorry not sure how to spell that) or Tok'Ra, helped me along with blending the many different technologies to make this vehicle. Should be VERY interesting, may make something so when the laser tag simulation is running, when down to one hit till death, the you can't kill me button will be engageable. Make several wraith grendade props that activate and blow the car before I can get killed. hehe, like that'll happen. But a roll cage for the center to rear of the car is coming, relocated fuel door behind pass taillight, then a motorized turret to pop out where the gas door is, uhhhmm LCD's in the roof and dash playing various things, and I'm thinking more about a custom fiberglass dash so I can create a DHD, otherwise I'm gonna stuff in a PT cruiser dash and customize that. I would love to put in above the headliner, black or silver panels that slide over the front and rear windshield, then create HUD's that pop up reflected off them, but that would be WAY future project. Can you tell I've been thinking this up for a while? I was gonna look into a chevy lumina (ugly) van for when I get a real house and convert it into a smaller replica puddle jumper with laser and water guns, but I think my neon would be more practical and fun for right now. Maybe do a van puddle jumper later and play tag with the 2 cars once I have kids. Forget a playhouse, who gets a spaceship to play in growing up? Oh yeah, and the secret weapon will be a new missile made for destroying an alien enemy in their ship while leaving the ship salvageable. I have a model of the prior bug. I plan to duplicate it lots of times and make a special bug missile. I'll explain it fully later. :)
Got any pics of the cobalt???
And I don't want to have the only stargate car in the world... I want the only one in the whole Galaxy!..... or beyond, hehehehe
By SG Merc
I like that you're going to keep the identity of the car intact. The Neon's do have a very distinctive front end, and I've always found that I appreciate a modified vehicle more when I can see that certain distinctive parts have been kept by design.

The self powering system sounds interesting. That's a pretty cool way to power all of the accessories and systems. How much operating time are you expecting to get out of a system like that?

Those are some cool plans for your future "fleet" there! I can respect that you're starting small with the one car though. Just make sure you marry someone who's equally in love with Stargate so you don't have to trade in the for a minivan :P

You can take a look at the Cobalt at CobaltChallenge.org. It's a promotional vehicle for a local college, so it gets it's own website. If you click on the button titled "The Car" you can see a bit of the after market parts that went into it. Unfortunately the pictures can't do the paint job justice, but when it's under the sun the metallic paint and holographic type designs really glisten!
By brainshatterer
No worries on the future wife, she lets me do what I want to with my cars, besides her car is all fixed up too, I got her on Pimp my Ride, look up the 1973 VW Thing, its bright green, can't miss it. Plus she watched atlantis with me from the beginning, she was totally lost on the last 3 seasons of SG1, hahahaha.
By Colonel_Carter
"1973 VW Thing" ... OMG not an original Beetle?

The Colonel wants one now ... Atlantis blue, of course! ;)

Yes, not all women want a 'mini van' ... some of us love cars just as much as you guys :P
By brainshatterer
No, not a beetle, Thing, it's like a jeep, look it up. you'll like it :)
By Colonel_Carter
I have never seen one of those before! How unusual :D

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]