Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Dedicated to all general Stargate, Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis discussion
By Astra
All that have the DST Stargate figures will know that the gate and ramp are not in scale with the figures, they should be much larger. That was not a problem until the MALP came around, which was too wide to fit onto the ramp! So I decided to make my ramp a bit wider.

So it looked before:

I bought an extra Thor to get more ramp parts. I did want to make it one half wider, so I needed to cut them in the middle.

The steps were a bit more tricky, since they have a space at the left and right, where it gets connected with the other ramp parts. Since I intended to make it longer, the hole whould have been in the middle of the step, so I used some leftovers from the sawing to fill it in, you can see it within the red circles:

Finally I glued it all together and now at least two figures can stand next to each other, while before only one had been able to. And the MALP also can roll through the gate now.

Last edited by Astra on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Colonel_Carter
Oh the mother of reinvention there Astra!! Well done :)

I'm sure others have come across the same problem - now you've come up with a solution!
By SG1Niner
Astra! You are so damn inventive!
By Mike272
Amazing job there! :) Keep it up...
By Astra
*Takes bows into every direction* Thank you, thank you! Image

Wanna see more?

The most recent wave of SG-1 had the team in desert camo uniforms. We all had looked forward to that, because at the very beginning they already had shown a prototype of Jack in desert camo which never got made, and it looked phantastic. Imagine our surprise when the first pictures of the new wave came.

The spotches were way too round, and too dark a green also. Plus they had made a brown line completely around every spotch, which is not what we saw in the show.

So I went to the store, bought some paint, and made it better, stronger, faster...
I painted the uniform beige which was too brown before, and put a lighter green for the spotches, changed the shape of them and added a brown line which also varies from thin to thick.

BTW, do you all know the "Ultimate Visual Guide" by Kate Ritter? Her book was a big help for me with this, lots of pictures and details, I can highly recommend it for everybody searching for information. It even has floor plans of the SGC.

http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-Ult ... 843&sr=8-1

All my friends provided me with various pictures of Jack and his hat, so I was even able to match the exact pattern there. Forgot to take a picture how it looked before, though.

By SG Merc
Great work on the Stargate ramp. I can't even tell where the new pieces have been attached, so extra kudos on blending it so well. I only have a couple of boxed figures, so didn't realize that it was so undersized.

As for the repainted desert camouflage figures ... OUTSTANDING WORK! I love that series as well, but never bought them simply because the painting is so unrealistic. How long did it take to match the correct camo pattern?

Now I know where to send my figures for a new paint job when I buy them :wink:
By Astra
SG Merc wrote:How long did it take to match the correct camo pattern?
Actually not that long. I believe it was one afternoon with two or three hours or so, and then another one for adding the brown lines and to correct a few things I had overseen the first time. At first I wanted to do the uper body and the legs in different sessions, but then I was just at it and did it all in one go. I let them dry lying on their hands and boots. Others do take them apart before painting, but I did not bother. If you look closely, the jackets are a bit shiny in places, I think that is because they are made of rubber. Had no problem with the same paint on the legs, so that can't be the reason.

I also think the green is still a bit too dark if you compare it with the original. I had to mix it up, they didn't have the right color.
SG Merc wrote: Now I know where to send my figures for a new paint job when I buy them :wink:
Yeah, sure, send them over! :D But that would mean you have to get them out of their cases, first...

Actually, I would highly recommend to buy this set. You will get newly crafted P-90s with it. The boys complained that the P-90s from the first waves are too big and the details are wrong. This is the new weapon, with flashlight and everything:

You also will get the MALP

and the ring transporter

with it, so I think these are some very good reasons! BTW, they mixed up Daniel's cuffs, they gave him the BDU arms instead of the offworld jacket one (I never would notice such details, but that's what I have the boys at Gateworld for :wink: ) so I tried to correct that a bit with my painting, too.
By SG Merc
Thank you for the information, I will definitely get a set of these someday in the future then :D
By Astra
You're welcome! Maybe I should open a new thread "Ask Astra" or something like that, I really have become an expert in those figures over the past months!

Don't wait too long, I'm under the impression these sell out very quickly. First wave with Jack and Daniel and the gate is sold out and goes for high prices on ebay. They get frequently asked whether they could sell the gate and ramp seperatedly, looks as if they consider it to please the fans.

To be fair, only Sam and Jonas each come with one of the rings for the ring transporter, but you can order more rings at the DST page. Not sure how long they will be in stock, though, the first time they were only available for two days or so. I just bought multiple figures to get more rings.
By Astra
Here is another little custom by me: The table tennis plate from the episode "Sacrifices". I just love this scene.

It's just cardboard and the net is made from a piece of cloth (remember net shirts in the eighties?), held by a staple. I also made the little paddles.

With the legs of the plate I had a bit of help by my father, because I wanted them be able to move, but on the other hand they should not move too far, so that the table would fall down.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]