Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Talk about the costumes used throughout Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe. Share your original costumes or get help with your cosplay!
By Gmechanic
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, but have been reading around trying to gather info for my first sg costume. I didn't know how much I missed the series until it was over -really over, and I saw the entire sg-1 cast for the first time at Comic-Con 2008 (which was RDA's first appearance there apparently, mine also)- that I decided that I should do something in honor of the show.

Now, I plan to put together my first stargate costume. It will be time-consuming. It will be daring. It will be...expensive. That's why I'm also doing this topic as a follow-along guide -so that others who wish to do the same may take advantage of what I have found in my last few weeks of researching. The following information is what I have found to be the most available on the market recently and as close to screen accurate as possible as compared to the original show (SG-1) and as it is relavent, the newest addition of the franchise, Stargate Universe.

Out of respect and credit for those sites and people which have helped me already, I have provided their urls below as references:
http://www.stargatery.blogspot.com
http://www.sg-soc.com/SG-Costume_Guides.htm
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/in ... opic=781.0

SG-Team Desert Uniform - Guide by Gmechanic

Tactical Vest
The most prominent and perhaps most costly part of the uniform that all sg teams never leave base without is the tactical vest, a standard piece of equiptment providing protection, supplies, and weapons gear to personnel and other party members. On the sg-soc website, the best tactical vest they can reccomend for the Desert uniform is an "eagle -style" tac vest but, the original sg vest was identified as a Blackhawk model. Both brands however, offer nylon mesh body and are available in Desert Tan colors, (as well as desert cameo variations) making it suitable for off-world desert missions. Keep in mind that the sg Desert Vests used were also modified and altered to their appearance, so there is no screen-accurate version available on the mainstream market. Therefore, as long as your vest is either of the two brands and has the following features, I believe it's as close to screen accurate as anyone can get.

Whatever brand of vest they may be, we can say for certain that some of its defining and most important features are its:
-desert tan color
-frontal zipper
-shoulder d-ring attatchments
-belt loops for web belt
- nylon meshing throughout the suit
-adjustable side/girth lacings
-back webbing for optional gear placement
-gear/pouch capability on both front and back, canteen pouches on back belt

The following vests are the most screen accurate ones I have found and can be seen worn by the cast members of SG-1 and SGU as specified.

-BlackHawk Omega Tactical Vest #1 With Hawtex, Coyote Tan
ImageImage
A Modified verion of this vest is believed to have been used for the Desert Missions on SG-1
pros: Coyote Tan color, includes all of the above features, also available in OD Green, Black.
cons: fixed pouches, no nylon meshing.
Price:115.95
http://www.impactguns.com/store/BH-30VT03DE.html
*If you're interested in the Omega Tac Vest #1 With Hawtex, they offer it for 115.95 and will ship for free.

-EAGLE TAC-V1-NU VEST
A Modified verion of this vest is believed to have been used for the Desert Missions on SG-1
pros: Desert Tan color, has most of the above features, similar to blackhawk brand design, available in more camo colors.
cons: adjustable side lacings/straps cannot be verified presently
Price: 119.95
http://www.stubbygear.com/product.asp?productid=7266
*Available for 119.95 Plus 11.95 shipping.

-Blackhawk STRIKE Omega MOLLE Tac Vest (I've also seen it as Strike Gen 4 Molle Omega Vest)
This vest is suitable for an SG1 Desert vest due to it's accurate side adjustment lacings, but does not share the BTS webbing as the older Blackhawk vests used in the show as seen on the Blackhawk Medic Vest. This vest uses a molle system of webbing to attatch pounches, developed by blackhawkthemselves, called Strike, making it a closer relative vest to the ones seen on SGU. Essentially, it's a hybrid vest that when assembled with the right pouches, in a certain way, could be adopted for an SG1 or SGU Desert Uniform.
pros: Desert Tan color, has all of the above features/capabilities, also available in OD Green or Black
cons: hard to find, discontinued item, pouches/gear are sold seperately, but can be added
Price:79-149.99
https://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/com ... n&key=1146
*If you want the Omega Molle Tac Vest it's offered for $75 (50 percent off of the retail price) at the above website, shipping for 12.45, but an additional discount of 7.50(10% off) off the total cost because it is a discontinued item, they are trying to get rid of them!

-Blackhawk STRIKE Omega MOLLE Tac Vest Elite
The model of this vest is seen in Stargate Universe in the first two episodes in Tan, Black, and Husky Black and uses side buckle straps unlike its predecessors' which had side adjustment lacings, but because it is so similar to its previous model, could easily be used as a variant of the SG1 Desert uniform as well.
pros: has most of the above features, newer model, wide availability, various colors available
cons: higher price than its previous model, side buckle adjustments in place of lacings
Price:171.99
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE ... 753,87.htm
*Offered in various places for different prices and discounts. Please search around if you want this vest for a decent price.

To finish up this section of the review, I have included these following vests that are similar to the above, as variant options that are less close to screen-accuracy, but may provide for better alternatives to vests depending on financial and costuming needs. Note: All Blackhawk and Eagle brand pictures are from its official website, and may not necessarily represent the color of the described vest. Please read the item descriptions for a more informative guide.

Blackhawk Omega Tac Vest Modular
This vest has the accurate BTS webbings (used to attatch gear pouches) shared by the older blackhawk models used on the show for both Desert and Standard SG uniforms. The type of webbing is seen on the backs of the SG1 and Atlantis tactical, medic, and desert vests (in three rectangular rows).
pros: has most of the above listed featues, accept colors available
cons: the only colors this comes in that I have found are the standard OD Green, and black (suitable for other SG uniforms aside from Desert); pouches/gear are sold seperately, but can be added; limited supply.
Retail Price:89-130
http://www.impactguns.com/store/648018002366.html

Molle Compatible Tac Vest (generic model)
pros: modeled after the above blackhawk vests, available in coyote tan, OD Green, and Black.
cons: generic quality; zipper is tan instead of black, not manufactured by blackhawk
Retail Price: 49.95-99.00
http://captaindaves.com/shop/tac-vests.html

Personally, I ended up ordering the BlackHawk Molle Tac Vest because it had all the right features I was looking for, it was the right color, 50% off, low shipping, and came with an aditional discount! My total from the offered price came to $79.95 shipped! Just to let you guys know, this vest is still being sold at retail prices on ebay and in almost all other online stores. It's just a huge steal, just because of the blackhawk name, and hurry because quantities are limited. If you're looking for similar vests though, be cautious that you don't end up getting one of the generic brands for the blackhawk price. lol. Make sure to ask for an actual pic of the vest and that it has the Blackhawk Industries logo on it -not a stock or internet photo. The Blackhawk manufacturer number is: BHI-37CL36.

Patches/I.D.
As much fun as it is to suit up and have a real-to-life, fully functional unifrom (disregarding the weapons), it just won't be if no one can tell who you are or where you're from. Patches and identification gives the wearer a sense of authenticity, provides security, and forms affiliation with Stargate Command, as well as their civillian and military alliances! You want to be sure people know who you are so, slap on your patches and show them off! The patches I chose for this uniform are:
-my own name patch (from the army, passed down to me)
ImageImage
-an SGC Base ID
ImageImage
-the SG-1 "Earth" and "SG-1 Team" Patches

The Earth patch I bought from mgm along with the sgc base ID. The SG-1 Team I bought from an ebay seller, Starbase-Atlanta. I bought both patches as 4 inches, and measured them when I got them in the mail to be exactly sure. Not sure if this is screen-accurate, but the one I got from the mgm store was 4" and I wanted to be consistent. The left shoulder displays the Earth patch -the right: the SG-1 Team patch. I believe both patches are attatched to the center of the shoulder, 1 inch below the shoulder hem. That's it for the patches!

Army Sand/Brown Shirt
I have chosen an Army Sand Shirt to go underneath my jacket, but Army Brown shirts are used on the show. I just chose it because it happened to fit me better, and it provides more camoflauge and stands out less than the Army brown shirt with my other desert tan gear. It's a light cotton shirt. Pretty simple. Can be purchased in army bases, or online. Don't forget to tuck in! ;)

BDU Trousers
ImageImage
For this Desert Uniform, you'll also need 3-color Desert Camo BDU pants. To be screen accurate, it needs 6 pockets: two hip, two rear, two side. Should be a cotton/poly fabric, ripstop weave. It's not hard to find, and these features come standard with most, if not all BDu's. Mine also come with bottom laces to tie off the bottom of the pant legs to keep them out of the way. Pics above!

So, I hope this satisfies some of the people out there trying to create theirn own SG -Team Desert Uniform! If you have anything to add, please feel free to pm or you can add it to your post below! Thanks for reading! I'll be adding more pics of the products here as I receive them!
Last edited by Gmechanic on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.
By Gmechanic
Hi everyone, the Vests section for the SG Team Desert Uniform is complete. I have included the new Strike Elite vest as seen on SGU and updated the pics so that the Blackhawk and Eagle pics came from their official site, so people will see the actual product but the pic color might be different than the reviewed color. Read the description, but all vests should be coyote tan/Desert tan as specified, unless noted differently. Thanks again for reading, and I'll be putting up my own pics of the purchased items asI receive them!
By Gmechanic
Hey guys, the costume is coming along pretty fast. My MGM delivery came today, and I got a chance to takes some pics. Here are some of what I have so far, enjoy! Thanks for reading.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
By SG Merc
I'm very impressed with the amount of research you are putting into the costume. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

The vest that they used on screen was custom made, but I think you have nailed the possible vests that were used as a base. The mesh used on the vest is a lot different than what is used on commercial tactical vests, and the pouches are pretty unique. I can't wait to see what you do with yours though.

I'm looking forward to watching your project develop!
By Gmechanic
SG Merc wrote:The vest that they used on screen was custom made, but I think you have nailed the possible vests that were used as a base. The mesh used on the vest is a lot different than what is used on commercial tactical vests, and the pouches are pretty unique. I can't wait to see what you do with yours though.
Exactly! What I started looking for in these vests were some type of "stock" or "foundation" for additional alterations that could be made on them.

Now, I did find a very close nylon netting (the octagonal design were used in the SG-1 vests if I'm not mistaken) in some laundry sacks at a department store that could potentially be taken apart and sewn onto the vest. Pretty cheap -around 7 dollars for a big sack (easily enough material to cover both sides of a tac vest). Also, it was a nice tan color.

But, considering the amount of money I spent on my vest, I wouldn't want to strip it down and make it completely unusable (It could be used for other costumes, or real life applications if the situation arose). Plus, it would take more work taking apart a mil-spec vest than it would to just alter a thinner, cheaper, airsoft vest. So, I was thinking of just using my vest as is. But yeah, if you want to look for the right materials and know how to sew (or can find a tailor), go find a similar vest to alter. It'll probably make for a more accurate version for an SG-1 vest than mine!
Last edited by Gmechanic on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Gmechanic
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Here are some new pics of the Tac vest I recieved. I was dissappointed that it turned out to be different than the photo from the BH site. Apparently, they used the Elite version (newer model) of this vest and used it as the photo for its product page. The differences between the two (that I was not aware of from the pics they posted) are seen in the Molle webbing on both front and rear of the vest, but at least everything else about my product was accurate. I would also add that the color was darker than the advertised "Coyote Tan," but am unfamiliar with that color anyway, so I can't say.

Good news is, the vests they use on SGU are all different and this model happened to pop up as one of them. So, I could potentially use my vest as costume for that show, but the varying vests they use for SGU are a letdown for me, really. I liked the consistency of using the same vest, like in SG-1/Atlantis because it showed an association with their teams. I guess it's hard for them to find a lot of any kind of vests these days since there's a war going on.

So, for more pics, you can view the rest of these products in my Gallery under the Library section! ;)
By Gmechanic
Alright everyone, I want to get back to my costume for this year's comic con, so I'm planning on building an sg-1 desert vest from scratch. It'll be less strenuous than looking around for vests online and I can work on the accuracy myself. I have a friend who has offered to help me sew, and I've got some material in mind already. I'm thinking just cut it to size, add some zippers, laces, and use mag pouches to be sewn on. Wish me luck! I'm feeling very ambitious right now..

All I need for my costume to be complete are a web belt, this vest, and a jacket -which is optional for me right now because I don't want to be too hot wearing a jacket for the convention!
By SG Merc
I always thought this costume looked cool without the jacket myself.

Anyway, I've seen this vest scratch built before to pretty nice results. If you don't mind taking some photos along the way I'm sure a lot of people would love to see the process.
By Gmechanic
SG Merc wrote:I always thought this costume looked cool without the jacket myself.
yep, me too. Just the brown shirt underneath the vest always looked better to me. It never made sense why they did that in the first place...you'd think wearing a jacket in the desert would be contradictory.
By Stitch
A lot misinformation here... If you guys need help with vest and screen accurate patches please look me up! I can do just about anything you need done! I am currently working with partner overseas that has access to the correct mesh needed for the vests and we soon should have a very close copy of the desert vest for sale as well. This was the only real vest sold, but are making nice copy of it... http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9950106

Any of the other vests can be purchased off my site http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/?shopp_category=2 and also be custom fitted with my alteration services http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/categor ... -services/ as well.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]