Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Talk about the costumes used throughout Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe. Share your original costumes or get help with your cosplay!
By SG1Niner
Good morning campers! Can anyone tell me if the BDU's SG1 wears have the reinforced knees/seat? It doesn't look like they do...but thought I'd ask. IF they are NOT reinforced...where are they available for purchase?!

Thanks! Ya, sure, you betchya!
By olie5
I looked at my Teal'c BDUs. I doesn't look reinforced to me. They are just regular BDU's. If you are interested in the "real deal" I do have Teal'cs BDU pants. A Jonas BDU shirt and may sell my Carter and/or O'neill BDU pants
By SG Merc
On the show, the olive drab uniform BDUs that SG-1 wears do not have reinforced knees or seats.

On the other hand, the other uniforms (like the desert ones) that SG-1 uses sometimes will have the double layer of material on the knees. And, also, other teams seem to use generic BDUs that have them as well.

This is probably due to the hero BDUs being custom tailored to the actors.

Anyway, you MIGHT be able to buy OD BDUs without reinforced knees/seats from Brigade Quartermasters. It says it has the feature, but the photo doesn't show it, so they may or may not.

It's hard to find BDUs without this feature, but to be honest the older ones didn't have them. Your best bet might be to try a surplus store so you can get older stock.

Here's a photo of the SG-1 BDUs, and also one of the other teams. Notice the extra stitching in the second photo (generic BDUs).

By SG Merc
The U.S. Army OPFOR BDU trousers appear to be what is used on Stargate SG-1. These are used by the military for training, and feature a design that looks very similar to the costumes of Stargate.

I need to examine a pair in person to be sure, but from just the photos I would say this is what is used on the show. Unfortunately since they are only used by certain training units they aren't common surplus.

By Primrodo
Hey guys,

I was directed to this website for P90 mods, but I saw this thread and wanted to post my findings.

I posted the following on SciFiHero.net in 2006:

There is no doubt whatsoever that standard BDU pants are used in the series for many of the other teams, and this is evidenced many many times throughout the shows 10 years.

However.

After seeing the thread on SGC.Net with people specifically pointing out that there are no seat or knee reinforcements I decided on my own to look into what pants they used, knowing of course they were likly custom made to match the custom jackets they made.

So I started researching the history of the BDU, trying to see when the reinforcements were added, what the differences were etc. And I did find this awesome website that I lost sadly...however it appears that in 1964 or 1969 (I forget when), the Vietnam fatigues were the precursor to the current BDU's we use.

I started looking harder and harder for pictures of these and found lots of vintage poplin pants that were quite expense offered to collectors and re-enactors as well.

I found a few details that were unique that I knew and some new ones as well.

Aside from the lack of reinforcements I noticed that the knees had darts in them, and that was one feature I wanted to be sure and get.

Here is a couple SG-1 Pant Auction images:

As you can see they have the darts and lack of the reinforcements as been said. After some further reasearch I started noticing some further details prevailent in both the Vietnam pants and SG-1s.

The back pocket and the side pocket flaps are actually angled and not straight rectangles like current BDUs, as you can see here:

So as you can see the pants are definately patterned after the Vietnam pants (though I wish I had images of actual ones, but keep reading...

In Children of the Gods, the teams are wearing quite dark pants and its my theory that they grabbed poplin pants for the pilot episode and then patterned off all the new pants with the OD Ripstop later.

This was a problem for me, as I didn't want to look into custom making pants or finding ripstop material too do it. So I sat and waited to see what would happen, even started talking to menatarms about it when the new jackets started coming out.

But!

I found out that recently Ultra Force decided to recreate the Vintage Vietnam pants in OD Ripstop, the only huge difference being that they had a zipper fly.

So I ordered a pair to check out, and I must say I am very pleased with them! They are not a perfect match to either the prototype jacket nor the Propper brand BDU shirt I have sitting around, but regardless, from what I saw Dave Wong do, these should work to be able to dye darker or play with.

These match all the details perfectly and there is a elasticized rope to tie them to your ankles, much nicer than ribbon :)

I took a few pictures for you all to see the colour differences that flash obviously REALLY shows, but I am sure for us accuracy nuts these should work nice and for the $30 price tag you cannot beat it.

I got mine from Barre Navy (along with the BDU belt which turned out to be a nicer light olive than my old one and looks closer to the shows) Url: <a href="http://www.vtarmynavy.com/" target="_blank">http://www.vtarmynavy.com/</a>

But you can find them all over now, eBay is usally chaulk full!

Let me know what you think!

On to the pics:

By SG Merc
Hey Primrodo those aren't bad at all!

As you say, there's a few minor discrepancies, but the biggest issue with matching to the SG1 BDUs is the reinforced knees/seat. The extra sticking for these features really sticks out when one compares modern BDUs to the SG gear.

Since OPFOR BDUs don't seem to be for sale anywhere, these are probably the SG costumer's best choice.

Thanks for posting the info and photos. And welcome to SG1Props.com :D
By Primrodo
Thanks SG Merc,

I hunted this down because of wanting to nail the pant down, I am a bit of a detail nut.

The big tells that make me think its the vietnam pattern is the slanted pockets, though since SG-1s were custom made I think they added all the typical button features to them. I hope my reasearch helps you too :)

Thank you for the welcome, I joined to find out more about the P90 mods, as I have a real one but I do not need to have a real airsoft around :)

Justin

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]