Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Talk about the costumes used throughout Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe. Share your original costumes or get help with your cosplay!
By Hirogen
You knew this topic was coming sooner or later :)

I was wondering if anyone actually found a pair of the Bugaboo Glacier Sunglasses by Bolle from the Mountain Equipment Co-op? I bought a pair of Vaurnet glacier sunglasses that match it pretty well but they come with the curved arms, not the straight arms an any regular pair of sunglasses. I have been searching for a pair of these since 2003 with no luck.
By Colonel_Carter
I know SG Merc was researching the sunglasses thoroughly (well he's going to catalogue everything costume wise eventually isn't he?).

Hopefully he'll be able to help you out there :)
By SG Merc
Unfortunately there's a lot of third hand information on the internet about these glasses which is wrong. The saddest part is that the wrong information originated from prop master Dean Goodine himself in an interview with rdanderson.com a few years ago.

Bugaboos is an independent company from Bolle, which is an independent company from Mountain Equipment Co-op. They are three separate companies.

Bugaboos made Jack O'Neill's glasses. I don't know how many of the glasses they made for the open market, but I know that they customized 10 for the show, 8 of which went to the studio and 2 of which went into private hands.

Mountain Equipment Co-op and Vuarnet both made the same style glasses as Bubaboo's. Vuarnets have hook arms, and the Mountain Equipment Co-Op came both ways I believe. Otherwise they are identical to the Bugaboos with the exception of possible lens color variation (Vuarnet for example offered the glasses with many of their different lens materials).

I have several pairs of the glasses, and the lenses do vary between them.

I've never seen any Bolle glasses that were this style. I only know of three companies which made the O'Neill glasses.

A certain lovable prop-builder has been considering doing a screen accurate and comfortable pair of these glasses for a few years, but has so far been too busy.
By Hirogen
Well, thanks for clearing it up. I am VERY surprised how difficult these are to obtain. The Vaurnet are nice but I am having a difficult time getting used to the hook arms. :) I hope to get my hands on a pair exactly like the O'Neill sunglasses. A year or so ago, I also bought a pair of Bolle Glacier sunglasses that only were available with hook arms.

Can one replace arms on sunglasses? Mainly take off the hook arms and add the straight arms.
By SG Merc
Bugaboos targets most of their products towards sports enthusiasts, so probably never produced many pairs of this particular model (especially if it never sold well).

I personally don't like the hook arms either, and find that they hug my face too tightly.

The arms can be replaced as long as the new arms you substitute mount in the same way as the ones you're taking off. On this type of eyewear I believe you need to use a tap to gently remove the bushing (for a mental hiccup of finding a better word), and then fit the new arm into the frame and tap the bushing back into place.

It's possible that if you looked at other glasses from the same manufacturer you might have the best luck finding a pair with the same arm system.

I would love to see a photo of your Bolle glasses sometime.
By SG1Niner
I used to be the purchasing manager for an optical company and to answer you question about replacing the 'cable temples', those that hook behind your ears, with standard temples is really up to the company making the frame.

I purchased the MEC Aiguille Glacier Sunglasses sunglasses and find myself wearing them the most. I also added the elastic string to the leather side shields so I can 'stretch' them like O'Neill does in a couple episodes - LOL

The pic http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4441956795 is kind of mis-leading with the sweat bar. That just clips off.

I had laser eye surgery a while back and I went on a sunglass buying spree...they now sit in my car or on my dresser and I'll wear them on occasion, but there's nothing like my Glacier's!

Yes - they are a little pricey $$ - but the lenses themseves are easy on the eyes.
By SG Merc
SG1Niner, I always thought the Aiguille glasses looked cool. Nice purchase.
By Hirogen
Ok, excuse the towel, it was all I could find to make the glasses stand out.

ImageImage

And a side shot.

ImageImage

They aren't bad, I would prefer the straight arms though.
By SG1Niner
I'm telling you the Aiguille's are the cat's meow!

Pricey...yes...but hey, I'm worth it. LOL

I saved my pocket change for a few months and I'm glad I did. Okay, I saved to 1/2 the amount then the rest I just didn't want to wait anymore and took the $ from 'ye olde paycheck'
By Hirogen
SG1Niner wrote:I'm telling you the Aiguille's are the cat's meow!

Pricey...yes...but hey, I'm worth it. LOL

I saved my pocket change for a few months and I'm glad I did. Okay, I saved to 1/2 the amount then the rest I just didn't want to wait anymore and took the $ from 'ye olde paycheck'
They do look nice..but I am still going to hunt down the O'Neill glasses the geek in me wants them!
By SG1Niner
My understanding is that they stopped manufacturing them about 10 years ago...keep a sharp eye on EBay!

Good luck & Bon chance!
By SG1Niner
Hi everyone...long time no speak.

I've been busy starting my own optical retail company...once we're off the ground I want to reach out to Bolle and Richard Dean Anderson...Bolle to see if they would (re)-make, exclusive for my company, the Bugaboo frame...and then RDA to see if he would be interested in auctioning some of them off for his charity purposes...

I'm just wondering if there's any interest out there in the world of Stargate fans...
By SG Merc
SG1Niner wrote:Hi everyone...long time no speak.

I've been busy starting my own optical retail company...once we're off the ground I want to reach out to Bolle and Richard Dean Anderson...Bolle to see if they would (re)-make, exclusive for my company, the Bugaboo frame...and then RDA to see if he would be interested in auctioning some of them off for his charity purposes...

I'm just wondering if there's any interest out there in the world of Stargate fans...
Congratulations on your business venture!

I am sure that you would have success with Stargate fans. Jack's sunglesses have always been popular.

You could also check with Vuarnet as they produced the same style.
By Agent 9
Has there been any development on this front? I'd be interested in a pair (or two... or three) that looks similar to Jack's glacier glasses and that are solid enough they could be used without issue.

any idea on possible pricing? or has the idea sorta fallen through?
By Stitch
You best bet was the Live Stargate auction a few pairs of Jacks and Sams sold, but they didnt go cheap. Jacks "Cebe" amber lens went for $1750.00. He did wear few different kids over the years not just one brand!

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]