Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discuss those things that make intergalactic battles deadly
Hey,
Just letting folks know I just uploaded some photos of my Kull Disruptor prop replica I built and have just painted and finished into my photo gallery. You can find them in the file named "Atlantis NSW SEAL SG-1 Prop Replicas" under my screen name.
Hope you like,
Atlantis NSW SEAL
By SG Merc
Nice work finishing this Chris!

The paint coloring for the main unit looks really spot on to the original. Did you airbrush, or put it on manually? I really like the weathered look to the paint. I might have to ask you for some tips when/if I get back to my own.

The chip holder looks really good too. It's obvious how refined of a fit you've built into them.

Kudos on this!
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Thanks so much! :D
I was quite pleased with the paint scheme. The main color for the body was a high quality Tamiya Olive Drab spray (I LOVE Tamiya paints!). Yes, the gold highlights were done with brush using Testors regular Gold paint. I simply looked very closely at the photos I have of the original and dry brushed streaks and highlights on. One of the tricks is to strategically paint small areas of curve formed by the "Jaffa Lines". This really brings out the lines themselves. Some people also use a wash of turqoise inside the lines, but I don't think they did that on the original of this prop so I decided not to too. I would be glad to help with some tips if I can.

I will probably add some dark red dots to the chip since the original also has them. I think it would help to break up and blend some of the yellow dots. I will add a small magnet to the inside bottom of the chip and a magnet strip to the bottom of the holder to keep the chip from falling out of the holder when it is tipped.
Anyway, thanks very much for the kudos. Most appreciated!
Chris
SG Merc wrote:Nice work finishing this Chris!

The paint coloring for the main unit looks really spot on to the original. Did you airbrush, or put it on manually? I really like the weathered look to the paint. I might have to ask you for some tips when/if I get back to my own.

The chip holder looks really good too. It's obvious how refined of a fit you've built into them.

Kudos on this!
By SG Merc
Tamiya really is great. I've personally used Testers more, but I've always liked everything I've seen with Tamiya. I am surprised that you've used Olive Drab as a base color though--I wouldn't have guessed. It seems to work really nicely to create the proper finish. I made the mistake of not thinking in layers when I was experimenting with finishing mine, but I really admire what you've done with yours, and will be following your example.

Thanks for the information, and definitely let us know how any extra work on the chip goes!
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Thanks, I'm blushing! :lol:
Yeah, I know that some folks who do the Jaffa/Go'auld paint scheme use a bit darker green than I did and that would work just fine too, but I did a test of the Tamiya Olive Drab before I painted my Kull Disruptor and really liked the tone it gave. It also goes really well with the gold highlights. Layers are absolutely a neccesity when it comes to painting props, in my opinion. It gives them a depth and realism and makes them look they weren't just fabricated in someones garage. Usually light layers of paint work best so that an object looks like it has been around and used for a while. Jaffa stuff always looks like that, except maybe Jaffa grenades which are a bit shiny. Also, lighter layers are easier to fix in case you slip or make a mistake and want to start a layer over. Also, the most important thing in painting a prop is to USE A PRIMER BASE! Primer creates a great surface for other paint to adhere to and makes painting easier, especially when you are masking. Not using primer as the base before primary painting is the most common mistake I see other prop makers make. A paint surface will last much longer with a primer base and will usually resist chipping. Remember, medium or dark grey primer for dark colors and light grey or white primer for light colors. White primer is best for white paint, obviously. Spending a bit more for high quality paint, like Tamiya, is well worth it in the long run. Plus, they have a great selection of colors to choose from, some that no other company makes.
Anyway, those are some of my best general painting tips. Hope they help. :wink:
Thanks again,
Best regards,
Chris
Atlantis NSW SEAL

SG Merc wrote:Tamiya really is great. I've personally used Testers more, but I've always liked everything I've seen with Tamiya. I am surprised that you've used Olive Drab as a base color though--I wouldn't have guessed. It seems to work really nicely to create the proper finish. I made the mistake of not thinking in layers when I was experimenting with finishing mine, but I really admire what you've done with yours, and will be following your example.

Thanks for the information, and definitely let us know how any extra work on the chip goes!
By MamaDuck
Im actually planning to do a Fem Kull warrior right after Dragon*Con this year. Im still looking into all the stuff I need for it
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Wow! That would be super cool, although a very complicated costume, particularly if you are including the helmet. You be sure you post photos when you do that. :wink: If I can be of service, let me know.
Chris
Atlantis NSW SEAL

MamaDuck wrote:Im actually planning to do a Fem Kull warrior right after Dragon*Con this year. Im still looking into all the stuff I need for it
By MamaDuck
Atlantis NSW SEAL wrote:Wow! That would be super cool, although a very complicated costume, particularly if you are including the helmet. You be sure you post photos when you do that. :wink: If I can be of service, let me know.
Chris
Atlantis NSW SEAL

MamaDuck wrote:Im actually planning to do a Fem Kull warrior right after Dragon*Con this year. Im still looking into all the stuff I need for it
I have compiled the list of how the thing was done (Thank you Dan Payne) but havent the time until after Dragon to even begin working on the thing
Im just finishing up my Wraith Queen gear

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]