Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discuss those things that make intergalactic battles deadly
By brainshatterer
Hi all, I picked up an Ancient hand weapon from one of the auctions from propworx, and I'm a little bummed about the handle being made of foam. One of the guys told me at the con there was 1 or 2 with a plastic handle, I want to attempt to use this as my first casting model. I've already disassembled it, pretty simple, now what should I look at getting. I have a vacuum pump (haven't used it in like 6 years so I'm not even sure it still works) but have no vacuum chamber, gonna check with my dad on that one. But in terms of casting, the part of the handle that meets the next piece is flat, so I can use that as an end to my box, however I need the mold to be lengthwise on the foam so I can remove it, so I've been watching videos and such, what kind of clay are people using for the spacing etc? Also is there steps I need to take to attempt to preserve the paint job on this bad boy or is it going to be a lost cause? Once the handle is cast I want to see about modifying it, I like the design sketch that places the button to light the light in the handle, the handle I have has the faux button, but the led is activated by a on/off switch on the side of the casing, not as attactive, and definitely not very functional. I'd also like to redo the dome part of the weapon and make it more like the production sketch as well. The sketch shows it as a hollow dome with a jenga cluster chip inside of it (that's what the sketch says). My dome is one big solid piece.
I appreciate all the help, going to start looking over the smooth on site.
By SG Merc
If your vacuum pump works then building a chamber is pretty simply. Pressure pots used for painting work well, and you could use the same pot for a pressure chamber as well. What a lot of prop builders do is use a commercial stock pot or similar vessel with a thick sheet of acrylic over the top for a lid.

You could seal your original prop with a clear acrylic based wax to help prevent the silicone from sticking. But unless the paint is showing signs of bubbling or pealing you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you use a silicone based mold rubber. Silicone naturally resists sticking to other surfaces. The Mold Max line from Smooth On is one example of silicones. Just make sure you don't use any urethane based rubbers as those could definitely cause damage.

You could lay your prop flat and still use the handle for a pour spout -- you would just stand the mold up when casting. I have molded similar props in this exact way.

For setting your prop in clay you should look for an oil based product which is sulfur free. I usually purchase this from one of the chain craft stores.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]