Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discuss those things that make intergalactic battles deadly
By Colonel_Carter
I've been amazed at the process myself. I couldn't even imagine how it would come together, so to see the process in action - WOW!!

They are incredibly awesome! Looking forward to the pictures of the finished article :D
By Gmechanic
Everything is looking great guys! I don't even remember the last time I was here, but I was busy with school I guess -well I've got a good month's break before I get back to it so, I'll have some time catching up! I certainly havent forgotten about my costume either! good to be back here...
By SG Merc
Qetesh wrote:It looks nice, but I do have some critiques if you don't mind! I'm sure you already know this stuff, but I figured I'd point it out just in case...

The shape of it looks good, but it's the wrong color. It should actually be a dark amber color, much like the color that it lights up to (sort've an orange). I've dug up some reference shots for you:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mhx6c3.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2w4acs5.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2jfygdj.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/20hr4eu.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/23k3pmw.jpg

You might also want to add another LED or two or perhaps have the palm crystal a bit more hollowed out, to get the very obvious center piece glow that the screen version seems to have. It seems so bright (see the last picture) that it may even be all of the above?

Also, while I'm looking at it, I wanted to comment on it before I forget... The thumb loop you're using seems a bit too large right now, both length and width. And you might want to make the fingertips smaller. They look very big on your hands but very small in the screen photos (see the last shot again).
I appreciate the feedback! I haven't been able to respond sooner for being busy, but have been keeping your suggestions in mind.

It was really hard for me to pinpoint the exact color of the crystal from screen caps, but I did have some studio photos of the original props. From those the crystals of the gold and silver ribbon devices are red, and an amber crystal for the copper ribbon device (possibly a bit of amber in the silver version as you suggested). I see what you mean about the amber appearance in the screen caps for sure, and one thing is for certain -- they definitely used orange in the CGI lighting.

Here they are ... I will probably do different tints depending on which color Ribbon Device is in question.

I have to confess that the lighting in the photo of the crystal I posted earlier was just an L.E.D. sitting under a non-hollow crystal (lazyness on my part). I will be posting new photos in a couple of minutes showing the crystal with the L.E.D. inside as you suggested.

The thumb strap is a bit long. I'll be seeing what I can do to make that a little more reasonable.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your feedback, and everyone elses. I appreciate the patience, feedback, and support I've had from all of you as I worked on this project!
By SG Merc
And here it is, a finished Ribbon Device. Fully scalable to fit the largest or smallest of Goa'uld hands.

View the entire gallery of photos here

By Goa'uld7
This is truly the most amazing thing i have ever seen, with the most awsome detail and above all the best!!!

I truly love it!

Congrats SG Merc for this awsome masterpiece.
By SG Merc
Thank you very much! I am pretty satisfied with the end result, and will be making only a few tweaks to the next one.

I will be sanding off a bit of the arm band where the upper crystal band sits. The screen-used ones curved in at this spot, so I will replicate that look. I will also be lining the inside with black felt to make it more comfortable (at least one of the screen used ones had this done to it as well).
By SG Merc
Just an update on this project, I am redesigning the electronics so the Ribbon Device can be used in cosplay. In my prototype I used a push button switch on the back of the crystal, but that requires two hands to operate. I'll be rigging these up so that the wearer can control the light by moving two fingers to/from each other.

Even the original prop was activated by a remote control, so this will be cool.
By Qetesh
It looks like the center crystal color is still off, aaand you might want to consider adding more of a glossy glass-like finish.
By Ori Master
SG Merc,

I wanted to say you do wonderful work. The Ribbon Device has always been one of my favorite weapons created for Stargate. I would be very interested in purchasing one of the Ribbon Devices when you are ready to sell them.

Thanks,

Ori Master
A.K.A.
Jason
By yu-huang shang ti
SG Merc, I wanted to tell you that you do an exellent job, the tape device has always been one of my favorite weapons, I wanted to know when you're ready to sell: let me know thank you:!!
By yu-huang shang ti
SG Merc, I wanted to tell you that you do an exellent job, the tape device has always been one of my favorite weapons, I wanted to know when you're ready to sell: let me know thank you:!!
By SG Merc
I recently finished building a Ribbon Device for the Don S. Davis charity auction at Dragon Con, and wanted to share some of the changes that I have made to the prop. These changes improve a few different areas.

1) Improved the electronics for the lighted crystal. The original electronics had many flaws, but the new wiring works great. Each crystal now has a dedicated battery holder on the back to keep the button cell battery secure.

2) Redesigned how I attach the crystal to the thumb strap. This was always a weak area in the design, but now the crystal will be held much more securely. It also improves the look since the thumbstrap is actually fitted inside the back of the crystal.

3) New paint scheme! I have switched to Testors model paints, and the results have been great. The colors are richer and more glossy.

Here are some photos of the Ribbon Device that was auctioned off for charity.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]