Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
By Jonbowen234
I recently became interested in creating a full sized or close to it replica of the stargate. The one from SG1 is classic but the Atlantis gates look really cool as well. Maybe I'll just end up making it reversible. Anyone does anyone know of a place I can get info on the gates like chevron pics and dimensions stuff like that?

Thanks
Jonathan Bowen
By thinkbui
That sounds like a fun project. If I had the means...

Anyway, I don't have one of the chevrons, but I do have one of the light panels that went behind the one of the chevrons on the Atlantis gate and was replaced sometime after the first season. I'm not sure about size comparison between that and the chevron itself, but I imagine it be pretty close since the whole gate is at least 10-15 feet tall.

The light panel is in storage right now as I'm getting ready to move, but if you're interested in measurements of the thing, please let me know.
By Jonbowen234
Yes I would but no hurry this is going to be a long project and will take some time. I actually think the Atlantis gate might be easier to build and cooler looking then the SG1 gate. The more I think about it the more the project changes. But I do not have room for a 15 or even a 10 foot gate in my apartment. But I have plenty of room for two half gates. That connect together but are normally separate.

Funny how I always brainstorm the best while writing a post. But the idea just came to me that I could in fact build one and mount it to the ceiling. Weight might be an issue but if I can find a way to mount it I might even be able to use it as an overhead light for the room and maybe a clock by lighting up a different chevron for each hour. Hmm but like I said still in the planning stages so when you do get that piece out of storage I would love measurements. I'm not going to be to crazy about accuracy. I've been working on my own R2-D2 for a while and realize how crazy exact replica can get. I do want it to be close just not mm close.

With the chevron measurements I can interpolate the inner and outer dimensions from that.

Jonathan Bowen
By SG Merc
Jonathan,

Several people/groups have done 1:1 (or at least BIG, BIGGER!) gates in the past at various accuracy levels. I believe most have been made from foam because of the weight.

There is a really nice miniature (well it's a couple feet in diameter) that a talented prop builder made. You might be able to get some inspiration from his work: http://www.xenoweb.nl/stargate_images.htm

I personally haven't seen any of his kits in person, but hope to one day find the time to get one and put it together.

There have been some good articles with info about the actual Stargate prop, but I don't have links right now. Some of the information is on Wikipedia though. There's also some good references to the glyphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(device)

(you need to copy/paste that address including the (device))
By Jonbowen234
Thanks for the info. I was actually planning on making it out of plastics but I forgot about foam. I will have to talk to the scene shop guys at the college I work for and get some lessons in using foam. Those guys have made some cool stuff out of foam. I do want to make it light up but I think I can use Plexiglas or something equally as cheap and clear to do the center bit and then wire the electronics to do fancy stuff. The electronics are the easy part for me. The guy who builds replicas you mentioned is kinda why I was looking into it. He posted on an R2-D2 board about them and I had the idea in the back of my head he just pushed me over the edge :)
By SG Merc
What you can do is make a plastic "face" of the gate, and then mount it to a wire and foam frame so that you have all of the control and quality that comes from working with plastics, but the weight of foam. PVC as a core might work well also if you need to be able to disassemble it.

This would be especially efficient if you made thin resin castings as you could control the weight by how thick you allow the resin to cure.

It could at a minimum cut down on the weight as opposed to making the frame from plastics as well.
By Jonbowen234
The guys I mentioned in the scene shop have this hardener that sprays on the foam and makes it very hard. I have to play with it a bit but with a heat knife and some sanding I could get the general shape and then do the really fine bits in styrene and glue it on. I also need to develop a way to split the ring into pieces so I can take it down if I need to move it. I'll start doing drawings and stuff soon to plan it all out before I build. Be really nice to have a cnc machine as well but don't have the money for one of those yet.
By strofmos
hi,

check out our gate.
it's not full sized but still 5 meter in diameter
it's made from MDF wood; designed to spin the inner circle and with working chevrons.
to add to the collection we also have a DHD and the Ancient Monolith (from SG1 tenth season)

By SG Merc
Wow, great job on that!

It's actually the ideal size for photo sessions because you can see the whole gate without having to take the photo from far away.

What are the steps made from? They must be pretty sturdy (and heavy?) to be able to hold the whole crew.

The whole collection is nice -- you guys like your oversized props! :D
By strofmos
the steps are also a wooden construction

they're sturdy but I wouldn't start dancing with the whole team on it :wink:
we actually have to lift it (1st and 2nd step) with 4 to 6 persons; that doesn't include the top level.

for more (non-stargate) big props, check out our website: Belgian Costume Division

I have to admit that the gate currently isn't spinning around, because of some remodelling of the inner circle, but it's designed to spin.

on the other hand: the event horizon isn't CGI or projection, it's a printed banner that's stretched behind the gate, with natural light falling onto it.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]