Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
For those interested, I have uploaded new photos of my finished "Working" Atlantis Lifesigns Detector prop replica to my gallery in the file named "Atlantis NSW SEAL Atlantis Prop Replicas".
Peace,
Atlantis NSW SEAL
By SG Merc
Chris you've outdone yourself on this prop! I'm really digging the multiple screens that the finished prop can display. And imagining the sound effects with it, I'm just amazed at how polished of a replica it is.

The paint scheme on this one is very good too. I like the darker colors a lot.

Suburb work man, thanks for sharing!
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Thank you! :D
I love "working" props! This one is sort of the ultimate for me what with the actual computer inside. As neat as it is in still photos (not to blow my own horn) seeing the moving screen animation and hearing the sound effects is even neater. It adds a whole level of reality to the prop.

I was very pleased with the paint job, for the most part. It is hard to tell in the photos but I used a Tamiya Pearl White paint for the main color and it gives it a depth of color, almost a rainbow effect when it is moved in light. I repainted two sections of my translucent non-working version Atlantis LSD from the dark silver they were to the blue seen on this version (I will post updated photos of that later). It is just more accurate than the silver color.

I had to modify the design a little bit to accomodate the shape of my PDA, but not appreciably. I lengthened the screen area a bit and slightly changed the shape of the center button "mound" (in blue), making it rounder than on my translucent version.

Anyway, all in all I am very pleased. Glad you like it too.
Thanks again,
Chris

SG Merc wrote:Chris you've outdone yourself on this prop! I'm really digging the multiple screens that the finished prop can display. And imagining the sound effects with it, I'm just amazed at how polished of a replica it is.

The paint scheme on this one is very good too. I like the darker colors a lot.

Suburb work man, thanks for sharing!
By SG Merc
Judging by the images alone you can blow your own horn all you want -- I'm completely convinced that I want one :lol:

Those kinds of paint effects are not easy to capture, but from the pictures I did assume it was more of an opal/pearl rather than pure white. Which I think is a great hue to work with because of how polished it can make a smooth surface look. Though a lot of props on Atlantis seem to follow a very nice color pallet.

I kinda like look of the longer screen personally. So I definitely don't think that's a negative thing that you modified it for the PDA to fit.

I'll definitely be calling on you when I [finally] get a PDA!
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Thanks very much! :D
Yeah, I was always impressed by the work that the Stargate producers and artists put into making the look of Atlantis be very different from the look of SG-1. It isn't just the same crap in another galaxy, it is much different. I also love the motifs used for the design of Ancient technology and in particular the Lanteans costumes, sets and props.

As far as the PDA goes, I am making a case like the one shown in the photos for a fellow member of my local Stargate group (SG-14). I told her that the same PDA type and model that I used in my original could often be found on eBay for next to nothing. Sure enough she found one on eBay for like $30 which had never even been used! It still had the protective screen cover sheet on it and came in the original box with all the accessories! She handed it over to me and I have loaded the same programs and screen photos for the animation and sound effects onto her PDA. Being the same make and model of PDA I didn't have to waste a bunch of time modifying the design to fit another PDA type and am building her Lifesigns Detector case right now.

The PDA I used for mine and the one my friend gave me for hers is a Casio Cassiopeia Model #EM-500. The only difference is the case color of the PDA. Mine was metallic blue and hers is dark grey. That doesn't matter though because you can't see the PDA case when it is inside the Lifesigns Detector case. They have a built in expandable memory which uses readily available MMC or SD memory cards. I also load a great little astronomy/sky program which can be set to your location and shows you the night sky whereever you are, so the prop is actually useful for more than just showing off.

If you are really interested in having a working replica like the one in my photos, I suggest searching eBay for a little while and see if you can pick one of the Cassiopeia EM-500's up for a song. They work great and fit my cases perfectly.

I can make the cases translucent if you would prefer as well. They would look more like my "non-working" translucent version, on the outside at least. Let me know if I can be of service for this.

Anyway, thanks again for all the compliments. They are most appreciated! :)
Best Regards,
Chris
Atlantis NSW SEAL

SG Merc wrote:Judging by the images alone you can blow your own horn all you want -- I'm completely convinced that I want one :lol:

Those kinds of paint effects are not easy to capture, but from the pictures I did assume it was more of an opal/pearl rather than pure white. Which I think is a great hue to work with because of how polished it can make a smooth surface look. Though a lot of props on Atlantis seem to follow a very nice color pallet.

I kinda like look of the longer screen personally. So I definitely don't think that's a negative thing that you modified it for the PDA to fit.

I'll definitely be calling on you when I [finally] get a PDA!
By SG Merc
Thanks for the info! I'm looking at a few on the old bay right now.

I'll send you an email when I get my hands on one of the PDA's and we can talk about you doing your magic on it :D

Thanks Chris!
By Atlantis NSW SEAL
Cool! Best of luck! Hope you get one for a steal. Magician standing by! :lol:
Thanks,
Chris
SG Merc wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm looking at a few on the old bay right now.

I'll send you an email when I get my hands on one of the PDA's and we can talk about you doing your magic on it :D

Thanks Chris!

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]