Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
By SG Merc
Something I've been working on is the pocket monocular used by Jack and Mitchell. This prop is based on a real Minox scope, but I did not want to paint one of the real scopes since they are kind of expensive. So I've made a mold and am casting these in translucent resin with black tint. The result gives a high sheen to the lens so it has a faux depth to it. You can't see through it, but it looks like smoked glass!

Here are some scrap castings which I am using to test a few different colors of paint,

By SG Merc
The original castings were not coming out the way that I wanted, and so I have switched to casting these on my rotocasting setup. The casts are coming out 100% better.

I've drilled out the holes on the first few castings, and have fitted an aluminum tube for holding the paracord neck strap. Everything is fitting together good, and I'm going to be proceeding to the finishing stage of these. Right now they are just the prototypes, but I should be able to make a large batch of them soon.

Also I picked up some new paint which should match the original more closely. Pictures coming soon!
By SG Merc
Producing these much faster now with my rotocasting setup. The machine rotates the mold while the resin cures, producing casts with bubble free surfaces.

Currently have about 10 casts that I'm going to be finishing up in an initial run. Hope to have them for sale around mid-April. Let's see if I can hit that mark!

By SG Merc
Drilled through the other casts this evening for a total of 10. Time to move onto phase 3! Cleaning up of the casts, and then priming.

Normally this work shouldn't take so long, but most of my focus lately has been on other SG props.
By SG Merc
Finished cleaning up the first group of casts, and have primed them. I also cut out all of the aluminum tubing which will be used for retaining the para-cord neck ties. Need to drill holes in those pieces and prime them too. Then it's just airbrushing everything the correct color.

Couldn't locate a spray can which produced the right color, and so I am using a model paint which I am unofficially calling O'Neill Green.

By SG Merc
Cut and milled out the aluminum tubes today. Those just need to be primed and then it's time for painting!

Not sure if I'll do the paracord neck ties in different lengths, or just send it long and let people cut it to length themselves.
By SG Merc
Got Aluminum tubes installed and primed. Will be airbrushing the final color later in the week. Then they're done!
By roberteliason
Hey!
Just got one of these babies together with a P90 Kit i ordered (more on that later).
It's super sweet! But I'm puzzled as to how to attach the strap properly. The hole in the pins, don't all the way through, so I suppose that there's some cleverness at work that I've missed here ;)
By SG Merc
roberteliason wrote:Hey!
Just got one of these babies together with a P90 Kit i ordered (more on that later).
It's super sweet! But I'm puzzled as to how to attach the strap properly. The hole in the pins, don't all the way through, so I suppose that there's some cleverness at work that I've missed here ;)
First thing you will want to do is make sure that the length of the paracord is how you want it. If you want to shorten it then do that first (regular scissors will work fine). The edge of the cord should then be passed over a flame to lightly burn it (keeps it from fraying).

Put some glue (any type should be fine) in the holes in the pins, and then insert the cord. It is a tight fit, and you might find it easier if you use tweezers to push the cord into the hole. The glue should hold it in place.
By roberteliason
SG Merc wrote:
roberteliason wrote:Hey!
First thing you will want to do is make sure that the length of the paracord is how you want it. If you want to shorten it then do that first (regular scissors will work fine). The edge of the cord should then be passed over a flame to lightly burn it (keeps it from fraying).

Put some glue (any type should be fine) in the holes in the pins, and then insert the cord. It is a tight fit, and you might find it easier if you use tweezers to push the cord into the hole. The glue should hold it in place.
Many thanks! Worked like a charm :)

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]