Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
By Qetesh
How would you go about changing your voice to Goa'uld-like in real-time, like out in the real world (not at a computer)?

And are there any type of sclera contact lenses or something that have small LEDs in them or something that can light up?
By brainshatterer
A voice changer could probably be done, expensively probably, but the eyes, I wouldn't trust putting an LED near my eye, no way to protect your eye from a power source, plus having a light directly on your retina, not sure how good that would be. Disguise the voice, practice :) nice cheap free way.
By SG Merc
There are a variety of voice changers on the market. Cheap ones are used in halloween props, and can be found at most party stores. Some of these sound a little like a Goa'uld, but most of them are too scratchy. I'm not sure if there are any good quality voice changers available, especially since a production like Stargate uses digital manipulation to change the voice after it is recorded. One thing to try though would be to get one of the cheap voice changers and wire in a better quality speaker.

The eyes ... yes, you can get light up contact lenses. Nothing with an L.E.D. though (they exist, but are only experimental at the moment). You can buy glow in the dark contacts, and they work really well. But you will need something to activate the effect. So you either need to be under a black light, or have a portable one. Ultraviolet L.E.D.s could be mounted to some type of headgear, and pointed at your eyes like spotlights. Then, with some type of switch, you could activate them at will and cause the contact lenses to light up at will. Since UV is outside the normal spectrum of vision, they shouldn't light up anything other than the contacts.

There's a video with some more information on the contacts here.

UV L.E.D.s aren't hard to find. I bought a ton of them on eBay a few years ago. You will probably need to shop around to get ones bright enough to light up the contacts though, as many L.E.D.s are designed for low output of light.
By brainshatterer
Wow, good thinking SG Merc on the glow in the dark contacts.
Here is a good site and bright UV LED's
www.Oznium.com
That's where I get all my LED's, really really bright, really cheap :)
High quality product. Good luck :)
By Qetesh
Do you guys know of any programs that could lower my voice pitch to 78% of normal in real-time on the computer? Like, to use over VoIP conversations. Preferably freeware.

AV Voice Changer is about the only thing I've been able to find and it's a wee bit too expensive. Come to think of it, I can't find any that are free. There's a lot for editing voice recordings, but they wouldn't be used to speak to someone.
By Gmechanic
Qetesh wrote:Do you guys know of any programs that could lower my voice pitch to 78% of normal in real-time on the computer? Like, to use over VoIP conversations. Preferably freeware.

AV Voice Changer is about the only thing I've been able to find and it's a wee bit too expensive. Come to think of it, I can't find any that are free. There's a lot for editing voice recordings, but they wouldn't be used to speak to someone.
I have an editing program that I use to make fanvids on youtube that is able to change the pitch of your voice and with some borrowed sounds from the sg-1 dvds I think I could come up wth something, but it really wouldn't be as good as changing your voice in real time. Your best bet is to find a voice changer that as a feature to change your pitch or find a movie character that they make voice changers for that sound like a goa'uld and use that. Then u can use the voice changer's own parts (micrphone, speakers, battery setup) to attach it to your costume somehow.

I know that there are voice changers that you can attatch to your cellphone that you speak through to hide your voice. They use those a lot in movies, but the real thing does exist. Good thing about them is that they do function in real time. Check online security or spy stores for similar items.
By Mike272
For a great free audio editor, try Audacity. It's an extremely powerful workstation that I use all the time. Depending on how you mess with the settings, you may be able to get to good Goa'uld-like effect.

UPDATE! I just spent about 10 minutes messing around with setting and I've created a rather realistic Goa'uld voice. Listen HERE
By SG Merc
Great work on that Mike. Any chance you can give a rough outline of what filters and settings you used?
By Mike272
Sure. Oh, and forgive the incorrect wording at the end there, it should have been "pledge you allegiance" not "praise" :oops: Oh well, it was a quick test.

Anyways, here we are:
  • Input your audio file/recording
  • If your voice is not rather deep, deepen it (Effects> Change Pitch...> Percent Change... {about -20.00, just play around with it})
  • Now use the Phaser effect to add some flange to it (Effects> Phaser...) Play around with the settings, but bump the "Stages" up to 24, all the others can be randomly set; again, play around with them
  • Voilà! (Not to be confused with the musical instrument similar to a violin) Goa'uld voice!
  • Most importantly, just play around the settings until you get your desired effect
Good luck!
~Mike
By SG1Niner
Is there a device one could wear - like Daniel in "Proving Ground" - say under a turtleneck to change one's voice?
By Qetesh
Yeah, I was thinking like Qetesh used in the episode where she pretends to be Goa'uld.

Does anyone know if there's software to change or add additional morphs to the Logitech G35 headset?
By RonHenderson
Qetesh wrote:How would you go about changing your voice to Goa'uld-like in real-time, like out in the real world (not at a computer)?

And are there any type of sclera contact lenses or something that have small
led lights in them or something that can light up?
Were you able to find right contact lenses or voice changing device? Please provide some information as I need these devices badly
By SG Merc
RonHenderson wrote:
Qetesh wrote:How would you go about changing your voice to Goa'uld-like in real-time, like out in the real world (not at a computer)?

And are there any type of sclera contact lenses or something that have small
led lights in them or something that can light up?
Were you able to find right contact lenses or voice changing device? Please provide some information as I need these devices badly
There are lots of voice changing devices on the market. Just search the internet for "voice changing module" and you should find something that works for a Goa'uld voice. You may need to find a unit which allows you to adjust the audio signal to get the appropriate pitch.

For lighted contact lenses your only option are UV lighted lenses. These are commonly called "rave contacts" and will glow under a UV light. You might be able to activate the lenses with a UV light hidden in a costume piece on your head.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]