Stargate Props and Costumes

Welcome to the Internet's largest community dedicated to the props and costumes of Stargate.

Discussions about replica and original Stargate props. Show off your collection, or what you are building.
By brainshatterer
Anyone have dimensions or model or replica or anything of any of the crystals used in stargate?
Thanks
By SG Merc
The Goa'uld control crystals, yeah?

I know there's been some closeups on the show, so somebody might have some very nice screen caps. Unfortunately I don't have any at the moment, but I do have one photo of a screen used prop. It's battle damaged, but might be helpful for shape.

By barkayal

:wink:
By SG Merc
Nice captures barkayal!

Good to see those Goa'uld know how to decorate for a good Christmas party :P
By SG1Niner
Funny...I thought the Goa'uld were Druish...

May the Schwartz be with you!
By SG1Niner
And YEAH! Awesome screen captures!
By barkayal
I'm glad you like them ^^
The next time I watch SG-1 episodes I will look out for more crystals.

[sorry for all the grammatical errors and mispellings but I'm french ...]
By SG Merc
That would be great!

And don't worry about your grammer, your English is better than my French so I'm certainly not going to complain! :D
By Colonel_Carter
What grammatical errors!! :shock:
By barkayal
:D :D

I just (re)watched this morning some episodes from season 7 and found this :

Sam trying to override a security system in the Prometheus...
Episode 7#22 'Grace'.
By SG Merc
Nice screen capture.

I see at least 3 unique shaped crystals, maybe 4.
By brainshatterer
Wow, thanks Barkayal. That last one will probably what I model my setup after. Just need to do more casting practice, tried to make a dupe of my wraith grenade with paint on rubber mold maker, didn't work very well at all. Need to get a more solid substance to do that with I think, but then again all the grooves on each side may pose an issue with that as well, but once the grenade is duplicated and electronics have been installed, then I'm going to begin working on making crystals.
By SG1Niner
I wonder if clay or play-doh would offer a solid enough substance to build off of...
By SG Merc
SG1Niner wrote:I wonder if clay or play-doh would offer a solid enough substance to build off of...
Oil or water based clay usually work really well for these sorts of objects. Haven't sculpted with play-doh, but it could be reinforced with a metal armature, and as long as you could smooth it out then it would work.

The most important thing with these kind of props is getting a smooth enough sculpt to make a mold from -- the smoother it is the more clear the final castings will be (if using a clear resin).
By Mike272
Nice screen captures all!

But, does anyone have any nice shots of any Ancient crystals? (Like any crystals found in SGA)

Merci, tout le monde!
By brainshatterer
I've begun working on making my own to get my car progress going again as I've been getting very lazy as of late.
Check em out, atlantis crystal is made from plexiglass
Go'auld crystal is so far made out of Super Sculpey
By SG Merc
Looking good there! Cast that up in clear resin and you'll be all set!
By Brat'ac
hey do grown crystals work well as props??????? because I am trying to make a gun that is rumored to be in on of the future episodes, and it is powered by crystals.
By brainshatterer
My friend just bought a kit of those for his daughter... not very impressive results, but heck, give it a shot. I think you have to find something to put it on, he used a flat rock, just looked like reddish mush on a rock when he was done.
By SG Merc
Brat'ac, be sure to post up photos if you grow some crystals. It would be cool to see how they turn out.
By Brat'ac
they're pretty miniscule(I think that is how you spell that) but I'm experamenting with one and using a actual recipe for another. the one I experimented on is growing faster though.

if you cast crystals there are some gels (that I for some reason cannot remember what they're called.) that harden clear and coloured..... and are completely solid!

the gun is one of the ancients very old weapons.(before drones) so could anyone post some photos of some Ancients crystals?

say are there any recomended sylycones.... in case I want to cast some crystals.

[Posts Combined -- SG Merc]
Last edited by Brat'ac on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SG Merc
You can make clear castings which look like crystal, but would actually be either epoxy or resin. There are polyester and urethane resins which can be cast clear. Urethane resins get the best results, but are difficult to work with. I recommend epoxy if you are just getting started. Most craft stores sell nice kits.

Any silicone rubber will work well for casting any of the resins I mentioned, or also epoxy. The important thing with silicone is that most casting agents will not stick to it.

Here are the photos I have on hand of crystals in Ancient tech

By SG1Niner
In that top pic I can hear Vala saying "You can just jam it in there, right?!"

ROFL
By Brat'ac
are most ancient crystal clear? but thanks. my grown crystals aren't working well. but I'll send pictures.
By SG Merc
lol @ Jack - good one!

Brat'ac, the Ancients used a lot of clear crystals, yes. There are some colored ones too.

The Vineland Public Library is looking for Stargat[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

The Vineland Public Library is having it's 4th ann[…]

Completely redesigned the palm crystal and frame. […]